VTP (VLAN Trucking Port):
VTP is a protocol used in Switches to managed and maintained VLANs configuration. It is a Cisco proprietary protocol.
Benefit of VTP:
• Consistence VLAN configuration across all switches in the network.
• VLAN trucking over a mixed network like ethernet to ATM or ethernet to FDDI (Fiber Distributed Data Interface).
• It managed the VLAN such as add, delete or rename the VLANs.
There are 3 VTP modes which helps you to configure in Switch –
1. VTP Server:
• It is the default mode of VTP.
• We need at list one server in the VTP domain.
• This mode can add, delete VLAN.
• VLAN configuration is stored in NVRAM.
2. VTP Client:
• In this mode switch will receive VLAN information from VTP server.
• In this mode we cannot create, delete, rename, change VLANs.
• VLAN information is stored in RAM.
3. VTP Transparent:
• In this mode switch does not participate in VTP database.
• It used only to forward VTP information to the client switches.
• They can create, delete, modify, change VLAN.
• VLAN information is stored in NVRAM.
• This database is locally significant, it means if we create VLAN transparent switch, that will not be advertise to server or client.
There are 3 versions of VTP
• Version 1
• Version 2
• Version 3
How VTP works:
Step 1: –
First identify the switch that should act as the VTP server and identify the client switch.
Step 2: –
Then configure the VTP domain in the server and assign the same domain name to all other client switches.
Step 3: –
Create a VTP password for unauthorized access of any VTP client in the network.
Step 4: –
Then VTP server and clients start to synchronize. Whenever changes there VTP server, the switch will start advertised to all the clients.
Also Read: –
• Top 160 Networking Interview Questions & Answers
• Top 115 CCNA Interview Questions & Answers
• Top 60 Linux System Administrator Interview Questions
• Top 50 Linux Interview Questions & Answers
• Computer basic Troubleshooting Interview Questions with Answers
• Computer Hardware MCQ Questions & Answers
• Computer Network MCQ Questions & Answers
• Describe straight-through and a cross-over cable
• What is Transmission Media & Types of Transmission Media
• Types of Computer Network
• What is Operating System
• Network Topology
• Describe OSI model
• Describe TCP IP model
• Processor (CPU) in Computer
• What is BIOS
• What is Hard Disk
• RAM (Random Access Memory) definition
• CMOS Definition
• Basic Parts of a Computer
• Motherboard Definition Types Components Ports
• Components of switched-mode power supply
• Components of computer system
• Computer Input-Output Devices
• Different between Intel i-series processor Generation
• Microsoft Windows History
• Cisco Router ports Function
• VLAN in network
• Computer network switching function technics mode
— O —