CCNA Routing – Types of Ports in Router
The process of transferring the data packet from a source to the destination is called as Routing.
Router is used to connect two or more different networks and different geographical location.
• It is a Network layer device of ISO/OSI model.
• It is an inter-networking device.
• It is used IP address.
• It is maintained Routing table.
• It transmits Packets.
• Router forward the data packet from one host to another host by using IP address.
• It has different components for using proper function of the device.
Router Ports and their function:
1. Power Port: –
It is provided Electricity.
2. Console Port: –
It provides to use to configure the router. It is known as Local Administrative Port.
3. Ethernet Port: –
It is used to connect different network segment or LAN.
It is 4 types –
• 10 Mbps (Ethernet Port).
• 100 Mbps (Fast Ethernet Port).
• 1 Gbps (Gigabit Ethernet Port).
• 10 Gbps (10 Gigabit Ethernet Port).
4. Serial Port: –
It is used to connect another Router.
It is 2 type –
• Serial Interface: – It has 60 pins to connect in fixed Router. Its speed is low.
• Smart Serial Interface: – It has 26 pins to connect in modular Router. Its speed is Higher.
5. Auxiliary Port: –
It is used to connect to analog Modem and it also can be used remotely configure the Router. It is also known as Remote Administrative Port.
6. USB: –
It is used to connect any USB devices.
7. BRI Port: –
It is used to connect ISDN devices.
Types of Router Memory:
There are 4 types of memory on a Cisco router –
1. ROM: –
• It is available on a Routers processor board.
• The bootstrap software is stored in the ROM and it is the initial software that runs on a Cisco Router.
2. Flash: –
• Flash memory available on a Router processor board.
• It is stored one or more Cisco IOS software images.
• It is also stored a copy of configuration files or system information.
3. RAM: –
• It is used to store routing table, ARP Cache and buffer.
• It is very fast memory which loses its information when the system is restarted.
4. NVRAM: –
• It is an extremely fast memory.
• It is used to store the startup configuration.
Routers Manufacturing Company –
Router Working Modes:
1. User Mode: –
This mode is used to Login to be router.
Prompt: – Router>
2. Privilege Mode: –
This mode is used to see all router configuration.
Prompt: – Router#
3. Global Configuration Mode: –
This mode is used to configure the Router.
Prompt: – Router (Config)#
20 Importance Router Commands
1. To go from user mode to Privilege Mode: –
2. To go from user mode to Privilege Mode: –
To go Privilege mode to Global Configuration mode: –
Router# Configure Terminal
3. To go Global Config mode to Privilege mode: –
Router (Config) #End or Exit or Ctrl + Z or Ctrl + C
4. To go Privilege mode to user mode: –
5. To set Router Hostname: –
Router (Config)# Hostname R1
6. TO set Log on Banner: –
R1 (Config)# Banner Motd # Network Help#
R1 (Config) #End
7. To Set Privilege Mode Password: –
R1 (Config)# Enable Password Cisco
To check the Password: –
R1 (Config)# End
R1 (Config) Disable
8. To Encrypt Clear Text Password manually: –
R1 (Config)# Service Password-encryption
9. To Enable Encrypted Password: –
R1 (Config)# Enable Secret “CCNA”
10. To see the running Configuration: –
R1# Show Running-config
11. To See the Saved configuration in NVRAM: –
R1# Show Startup-config
12. To save configuration: –
R1# write memory /copy running config startup config
destination file name (startup config)? Press enter
R1# copy run start
Destination file name (startup-config)? Press enter
13. To set Clock: –
R1# clock set 9:15:30 1 June 2021
14. To see Clock: –
R1# Show Clock
15. To change time: –
R1 (Config)# Clock Time Zone India 5:30
16. To see the available Interface in the Router: –
R1# Show IP Interface Brief
17. To set IP address in the Fast Ethernet Interface
R1 (Config)# Interface Fast Ethernet 0/0
R1 (Config-if)# No Shutdown
Ri (Config-if)# IP add 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0
R1 (Config-if)# Exit
18. To check IP address: –
R1# Show Interface Brief
19. To Flash IP address from any Interface/ Delete IP: –
R1 (Config)# Interface Fast Ethernet 0/0
R1 (Config-if)# No IP Address
20. To Set IP address in the Client: –
Click on the machine => Desktop => IP configuration => Static => give IP address.
Also Read: –
• Top 160 Networking Interview Questions & Answers
• Top 115 CCNA Interview Questions & Answers
• Top 60 Linux System Administrator Interview Questions
• Top 50 Linux Interview Questions & Answers
• Computer basic Troubleshooting Interview Questions with Answers
• Computer Hardware MCQ Questions & Answers
• Computer Network MCQ Questions & Answers
• Describe straight-through and a cross-over cable
• What is Transmission Media & Types of Transmission Media
• Types of Computer Network
• What is Operating System
• Network Topology
• Describe OSI model
• Describe TCP IP model
• Processor (CPU) in Computer
• What is BIOS
• What is Hard Disk
• RAM (Random Access Memory) definition
• CMOS Definition
• Basic Parts of a Computer
• Motherboard Definition Types Components Ports
• Components of switched-mode power supply
• Components of computer system
• Computer Input-Output Devices
• Different between Intel i-series processor Generation
• Microsoft Windows History
• Cisco Router ports Function
• VLAN trunking protocol-vtp
• VLAN in network
• Computer network switching function technics mode
— O —